Monday, March 30, 2015

Cove's Worship Service - Palm Sunday (Isaiah 50:4-9a)

Below is a copy of the Sunday worship I led in Cove Presbyterian Church, Weirton, West Virginia, on Sunday, March 29. You can also find a podcast of this service at The Cove Podbean page.

The Order of Worship
Palm Sunday – March 29, 2015

Prelude

The Greeting and Announcements


Enter Worship with Praise

Entry of the Word: "This is the Day that  the Lord Has Made"

Praising God Through Song
Hymn: "Hosanna, Loud Hosanna"
Hymn: "I Come to the Cross"
Our Song for the Children: "Hosanna!"

Approach God with Humility and Thanks

A Special Time for Children

The Choir Offering Praise through Music: "Hallelujah To The King "

Our Congregational Prayer, followed by The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name.  Thy kingdom come.  Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;  For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.  Amen.

Our Song Glorifying God: Gloria Patri

Giving Back to God: "In Humble Adoration"

Song of Praise: Doxology

Our Prayer of Thanks and Dedication

Affirming Our Faith: From the Confession of 1967
The life, death, resurrection, and promised coming of Jesus Christ has set the pattern for the church's mission.  His life as man involves the church in the common life of men.  His service to men commits the church to work for every form of human well-being.  His suffering makes the church sensitive to all the sufferings of mankind so that it sees the face of Christ in the faces of men in every kind of need.  His crucifixion discloses to the church God's judgment on man's inhumanity to man and the awful consequences of its own complicity in injustice.  In the power of the risen Christ and the hope of his coming the church sees the promise of God's renewal of man's life in society and of God's victory over all wrong.

Hear the Word with Understanding

The Word Read: Isaiah 50:4-9a
The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens–wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty?

The Word Proclaimed: Beyond the Palms

Leave Worship with Joy

 Hymn: "The Old Rugged Cross"

Charge and Blessing

Congregational Response    

Postlude: "The Power and the Glory"

No comments: