Thursday, October 27, 2016

A New Devotion on Cove's Prayer Line - A Light in the Basement

Below is a new devotion I just left on the Cove Presbyterian Church prayer line. You can find a recording of this devotion on the prayer line (1-304-748-7900) or on the Cove Presbyterian Church Podbean page. You might also want to visit the congregational website (covepresbyterian.org) for more church information.

If you find this devotion meaningful, please consider supporting this ministry by sending an offering to Cove Presbyterian Church, 3404 Main Street, Weirton, West Virginia or through PayPal. And no contribution is too small.


Nahum 1:15

Look! On the mountains the feet of one
     who brings good tidings,
     who proclaims peace!
Celebrate your festivals, O Judah,
     fulfill your vows,
for never again shall the wicked invade you;
     they are utterly cut off.

A Light in the Basement
Image result for dark basement

Yesterday, when I got home from the church, it was already dark outside. In October, the days just get shorter, and the night comes earlier. And since we got our puppy, I generally come in through the basement. It seems to be a little less disruptive if I don’t step directly in the room where Coco Chanel is hanging out. Anyway, as I went up to the basement door, I was pretty sure that it was as dark inside as it was outside. And I really hate that, because our basement floor is like a minefield. In fact, I remember one time falling flat on my face, because I tripped over a piece of exercise equipment I’ll start using again one of these days. And so, as I put my key in the lock, I was sure I’d be feeling my way through the books and the boxes and the bowflex that will someday be both bowing and flexing. But as I opened the door, I saw a light on the far side of the room, right above the stairs to the kitchen. And I’ve got to tell you, I was relieved. You see, even though the room was still dark and the floor cluttered, that one light bulb was going to give me the ability to move across the room without falling.

And you know, that’s what this verse did in the book of Nahum and can do for us as we move through life. I mean, if you’ve ever read the prophesy of Nahum, it’s really pretty bleak, with a lot of talk of judgement and punishment. And as we move through life, we’re going to encounter of a lot of stuff we’d much rather see in the light than in the dark, and I’m talking about things that can really trip us up. But just like that bulb in the basement, Nahum gave his people and he gives us a little light in the gloom. You see, he offers us a reminder that, in spite of what we’re facing, a time will come when things will dramatically improve. And this is something of which we can be sure, because the one making the promise is the lord and creator of the universe.

No comments: