Thursday, December 29, 2016

A New Devotion on Cove's Prayer Line - My Wonderful Wife

Below is a new devotion I just left on the Cove Presbyterian Church prayer line. You can find a recording of this devotion on the prayer line (1-304-748-7900) or on the Cove Presbyterian Church Podbean page. You might also want to visit the congregational website (covepresbyterian.org) for more church information.

 If you find this meaningful, please consider sending an offering directly to Cove Presbyterian Church, 3404 Main Street, Weirton, West Virginia or through PayPal.

Isaiah 12:1-6

  You will say in that day: 
     I will give thanks to you, O LORD, 
          for though you were angry with me, 
     your anger turned away, 
          and you comforted me.

  Surely God is my salvation; 
          I will trust, and will not be afraid, 
     for the LORD GOD is my strength and my might; 
          he has become my salvation.

With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. 4And you will say in that 
day: 
     Give thanks to the LORD, 
          call on his name; 
     make known his deeds among the nations; 
          proclaim that his name is exalted.

  Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously; 
          let this be known in all the earth. 
  Shout aloud and sing for joy, O royal Zion, 
          for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.

My Wonderful Wife

Image result for longsuffering wifeI think there’s a reason why people at church say to my wife, “I pray for you all the time.” I’ve got to admit; I’m no prize. You see, I have moody tendencies and tender feelings. I’m not nearly as patient as I could be, and I take too many things personally. I worry too much and probably spend too little time at home. And having said this, I feel as though I’ve just scratched the surface. There are all kinds of other stuff going that I’d never write down, because I plan to keep them all neatly hidden from everybody, except from her. This is who I am in a nut shell. And yet, in spite of all this mess that she didn’t create, my wife still loves me, and I don’t think she’s going to leave me anytime soon. Of course, it doesn’t mean that I’m not aware when she’s frustrated or disappointed. At those times, there’s a distinct chill in the air. But even then, I can trust that she still loves us. Imagine that. She still loves me.

And I’ll tell you, even though that’s remarkable, God loves me and us even more. But I can tell you, it’s not because of us. You see, I think we tend to be moody and over sensitive and impatient. And often we see ourselves as the center of the universe, and we believe that our desires and our feelings are more important than those experienced by others. Now that’s who we are. And yet, God still loves us, and Jesus still saves us, and the Holy Spirit still inspires us. And even when we feel separated from that love and salvation and inspiration, the Lord is always close and his mercy and compassion will never fail. You see, we can always trust that God still loves us. Imagine that. He still loves us.

No comments: