Wednesday, February 8, 2017

A New Devotion on Cove's Prayer Line - Compromise

Below is a new devotion I just left on the Cove Presbyterian Church prayer line. You can find a recording of this devotion on the prayer line (1-304-748-7900) or on the Cove Presbyterian Church Podbean page. You might also want to visit the congregational website (covepresbyterian.org) for more church information.

If you find this meaningful, please consider sending an offering directly to Cove Presbyterian Church, 3404 Main Street, Weirton, West Virginia or through PayPal.

2 Timothy 1:1-14

Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him. Hold to the standard of sound teaching that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us.

Compromise

As I was coming to work this morning, I heard a story on the radio about the Democratic Party and how they had a decision to make. You see, on one hand they could become the party of “NO”, sort of like the Republican did when Barack Obama was President. In other words, they could decide to oppose everything that President Trump suggests, regardless of whether they agree or not. Not only would they be the opposition, they would oppose everything. That’s one choice. Or, on the other hand, they could decide to work with the new President, especially on issues where they share a common interest. You see, for the good of the country, they could decide to seek compromises when possible, and then oppose those decisions where a meeting of the minds couldn’t be reached. Of course, for me, I hope they show a willingness to compromise, because even though gridlock may win votes in the short-run, I think we need a government capable of getting something done.

Image result for no compromise
But having said that, there’s one area where I believe where compromise is always wrong, and now I’m talking about our own understanding of God and our own response to Jesus Christ. Now I want you to notice that I’m talking about compromise. You see, I certainly believe our faith and knowledge must continue to change and deepen; therefore, we should all seek growth whenever possible. I also believe that the only way to grow is to listen to ideas different from our own with a mind as open as possible. Still, if I’m surrendering something that I believe is essential to the faith in order to accommodate values and ideas that are not necessarily mine, I may be surrendering that good treasure that was entrusted to me, something that Paul warns us to guard.

No comments: