Thursday, May 25, 2017

A New Devotion on Cove's Prayer Line - Jesus Knows

Below is a new devotion I just left on the Cove Presbyterian Church prayer line. You can find a recording of this devotion on the prayer line (1-304-748-7900) or on the Cove Presbyterian Church Podbean page. You might also want to visit the congregational website (covepresbyterian.org) for more church information.

If you find this meaningful, please consider sending an offering directly to Cove Presbyterian Church, 3404 Main Street, Weirton, West Virginia or through PayPal.

Hebrews 2:10-18

It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters, saying,
     “I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters,
          in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.”
And again,
     “I will put my trust in him.”
And again,
     “Here am I and the children whom God has given me.”

Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.

Image result for Jesus identifies with our painJesus Knows

I think there’s a difference between saying, “I understand” and “I know.” You see, for me, understanding is an intellectual exercise, something that involves the mind and can be applied to concepts and ideas. For example, I might understand a theory or a lecture or an explanation. I may not agree with it or believe that it applies to me, but I can certainly understand it. But when you know something, well, that’s something different. Knowing demands a complete identification which is possible only when we’ve shared the experiences of another; therefore, at least in one particular area, we can actually know what is being thought or felt. And knowing really leaves no room for questions or doubt. I mean, although we now hear about alternative facts, when I know something I’ve made a commitment to what is known.

And that’s what the writer to the Hebrews says about Jesus Christ’s relationship with us. You see, he doesn’t understand what we’re facing. And he doesn’t understand what we’re thinking. And he doesn’t understand what we’re feeling. Rather, he knows. He knows the problems and pain that enter every life, because he faced them himself. And he knows that there are times when we question and doubt, because, as he endured the cross, he had those thoughts too. And he knows our fears and frustrations, because during his time with us, he felt them as well. You see, Jesus knows.

No comments: