- During the month of April, I led the following funeral services:
- April 15 - Genevieve Meyer
- April 22 - Harry Hutch
- During the month of April, I officiated the following wedding:
- April 21 - Seaver-Bolock
- April 22 - Calderon-Loomis
- During the month of April, I led the following special services:
- April 13 - Maundy Thursday (Love Feast)
- April 14 - Good Friday (Stations of the Cross - Cantata)
- We celebrated communion on April 13. We served 54.
- In our Tuesday Study I’m leading we’re continuing a series on Luke/Acts.
- We’ll host a Grief Share support group, beginning on Saturday, June 10.
- I sent a message to Sriplight Theatre concerning supporting and assisting in a youth theater camp during the summer. I haven’t received a response.
The session made the following committee assignments:
- Christian Growth – Debbie Rudiger & Colleen Shaw. The following was reported:
- During the summer, we hope to participate in The Academy’s Kid-Fit program.
- We had 28 kids involved in our Easter Egg Hunt.
- We have 5 young people interested in camp.
- On May 21, the Senior High Youth will visit the Weirton Geriatric Center.
- We discussed scheduling a confirmation class and the educational material received from the Endowment Committee.
- Worship –Sue Willson & Diana Durst. There was no report.
- Outreach – Adam Dowler & Rocky Campbell. There was no report.
- Membership – Debbie Siefert & Phil Fraga. The following was reported:
- Seventeen shut-ins were served communion.
- A card was sent to Joy Isingood, thanking her for the Easter basket.
- Cards were also sent to Chris Pierce, Sue Baldt and Ray Siefert, Jr., recognizing their involvement in the community choir.
- We discussed how we’re dealing with those who have Comcast e-mail addresses not receiving church messages.
The session considered the goals for 2017 as follows:
- We discussed the formation of a Congregational Care Committee. We considered how we might broaden the idea of giving to include time and talents and identify the talents within the congregation.
- The session decided to divide the goals among the different committees and have them set their priorities. Each committee will report back to the session.
- The session went through all the goals, identifying those which have been done, those which need to be done, those which are currently in process of being accomplished, and those which are continuing concerns. The results are as follows:
- Community Outreach
- Editorial Pieces for the Weirton Daily Times (To Be Done)
- Develop Congregational Flyers (To Be Done)
- Explore Canvassing (To Be Done)
- Intentionally encourage attenders to invite friends (Continuing Concerns)
- Set community outreach as our focus for 2017 (To Be Done)
- Survey visitors as to Cove strengths & weaknesses (Continuing Concern)
- Contact schools for Fellowship Hall utilization (To Be Done)
- Develop a Summer Program with Striplight (In Process)
- Intentionally integrate The Academy in programs (In Process)
- Develop an Environment-Related Program (creation care) (In Process)
- Congregation and Membership
- Establish a Congregational Care Committee (To Be Done)
- Brain Storm Special Activity Groups (To Be Done)
- Offer church members a variety of communal activities both fun and spiritual (Continuing Concerns)
- Publication of a quarterly news letter (In Process)
- Send birthday and anniversary cards (In Process)
- Developing a “Shepherding Program” (To Be Done)
- Including members in session committees (In Process)
- Christian Growth
- Continued support and commitment to our youth programs including the introduction of a “Youth Deacon” position (To Be Done)
Divide Jesus Time based on age(Done)
- Sponsor service projects during the year (To Be Done)
Meet with Choir re: new director(Done)
- Schedule accompanists through the summer (To Be Done)
- Schedule a monthly “Contemporary Sunday” (To Be Done)
- Schedule more solos (To Be Done)
- Schedule a Stewardship Sermon (In Process)
Establish PayPal giving(Done) Set-Up Amazon Smile(Done)
- Promoting Stewardship through essays and mailings (Continuing Concerns)
- Explore Cost Cutting Measures (insurance, phones, security, internet, HVAC, others) (Continuing Concerns)
Explore Employee/Independent Contractor Considerations(Done)
- Include Financial Snapshot in Bulletin (To Be Done)
- Meet with Deacons (To Be Done)
- Report on the possibility of Bingo (logistics, food sales, permitting) (In Process)
- Participate in the Renaissance Fair (To Be Done)
Explore Gift Card Wreath(Done) Explore Pop Sale (Pepsi)(Done)
- Explore Lottery Ticket Raffle (legal?) (To Be Done)
- Explore Car Wash (To Be Done)
- Explore Recorded Remembrances (To Be Done)
- Continued transparency in all church government actions with ongoing publication of church financial data (Continuing Concerns)
- Aggressively pursue grants to enhance our outreach program (Continuing Concerns)
- Continue our stewardship efforts and offer innovative fundraising events (Continuing Concerns)
- Building Enhancement
- Trustee offering a comparison of insurance rates (In Process)
- Schedule an outside the church work day (Continuing Concerns)
Using the “Welcome” banner on Sunday morning(Done)
- Make better use of the equipment we already have (Continuing Concerns)
- Building Utilization
Find 2 team leaders(Done)
- Meet with City about hosting events (Continuing Concerns)
- Establish a Cove/Academy committee (To Be Done)
- Establish a Task Force to look at public school events (To Be Done)
- Establish a Task Force to consider sharing space with other congregations (To Be Done)
- Meet with City Manager (To Be Done)
- Schedule Congregational Dinners (Continuing Concerns)
- Assess interest in speaker events, studies, movies, game nights (To Be Done)
- Explore Fairs/Festivals/Etc. (To Be Done)
- Contact the Ashley Marie Theater about Using Church Space (In Process)
- Pursue “Sprouts of Faith” (To Be Done)
Follow-up with MOPS(Done)
- Pastoral Role
Receive a list of persons who need contact(Done) Contact persons on the list(Done)
- Approach Hopedale about sharing Ed (To Be Done)
Pursue Other Pastoral Sharing Situations(Done)
- Schedule Feedback Discussions with Ed (Continuing Concerns)
- Committees & Boards
- A pledge to improve the teamwork between the church governmental boards (Continuing Concerns)
- Clearly define the purpose and focus of all boards and committees (Continuing Concerns)
- Develop an operational manual (To Be Done)
- In order to improve coordination with and communication between the different boards, the minutes from the prior month meeting of each board will be available by the beginning of each month.