Thursday, June 8, 2017

A New Devotion on Cove's Prayer Line - God Is Not Fair

Below is a new devotion I just left on the Cove Presbyterian Church prayer line. You can find a recording of this devotion on the prayer line (1-304-748-7900) or on the Cove Presbyterian Church Podbean page. You might also want to visit the congregational website (covepresbyterian.org) for more church information.

If you find this meaningful, please consider sending an offering directly to Cove Presbyterian Church, 3404 Main Street, Weirton, West Virginia or through PayPal.

Luke 18:1-8

Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart. He said, "In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, 'Grant me justice against my opponent.' For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, 'Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.'" And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"

God Is Not Fair

Image result for god is not fairI don’t believe that God is fair. You see, to be fair, we would receive exactly what we deserve, no more or no less. And that would be based on the lives we lived; it would have nothing to do with our status. In fact, our relationship with him would be irrelevant. If he were fair, he’d be blind as he weighs impartially this information before making his judgement. As a matter of fact, he’d actually be a like that judge in the parable told by Jesus. Now I’ve got to tell you, he’s the example of the perfect jurist. And you know, that’s exactly the kind of person I want to see looking at me from the bench. I mean, if I’m innocent and on trial, I want to be judged by the facts. And I don’t want him or her to apply anything other than the civil law nor do I want the power or position of my accuser to carry any additional weigh. The judge that Jesus offered was truly impartial. 

But that’s not the case with God, because he’s nothing like the judge in the parable. You see, the God who’s been revealed through Jesus Christ isn’t blind to us to our needs. Instead he sees us when we’re troubled, and he cares when we feel pain and fear. And it’s important to him that we’re not just unnamed individuals, because we’ve been adopted as his children. He brought us into relationship with himself, and he loves us in spite of our failings and short-comings, in spite even of our guilt. And he definitely doesn’t give us what we deserve; if he did, we’d all be trouble. You see, we’re sinners and fall short of his ideal; therefore, we deserve punishment. But that’s not what we receive. Instead, he’s redeemed us through Jesus Christ which is much better than anything we could do or get for ourselves. You see, I don’t believe that God is fair. Rather I believe he’s loving and gracious and merciful.

No comments: