Thursday, June 15, 2017

A New Devotion on Cove's Prayer Line - It’s All in How You Look at It

Below is a new devotion I just left on the Cove Presbyterian Church prayer line. You can find a recording of this devotion on the prayer line (1-304-748-7900) or on the Cove Presbyterian Church Podbean page. You might also want to visit the congregational website (covepresbyterian.org) for more church information.

If you find this meaningful, please consider sending an offering directly to Cove Presbyterian Church, 3404 Main Street, Weirton, West Virginia or through PayPal.

2 Corinthians 12:7b-10

Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

It’s All in How You Look at It

Image result for It’s All in How You Look at It
I’ve always found it interesting that, when people start taking about divine blessings, they nearly always name things that they want. In other words, we’re blessed whenever we receive stuff that we consider good. It’s as though, our definition of positive is also God’s definition of positive. And naturally the reverse is also true. When something happens that we wouldn’t have chosen, something that isn’t what we consider beneficial, something that we view as negative, when something like that happens, then we’re cursed or maybe we’re being punished. Now that’s seems to be the way a lot of believers view the nature of blessings and curses.

Of course, I think most of us understand that what we consider a blessing may not always turn out wonderful in the end. It like that old saying, Be careful what you wish for; you may get it. I think we all know examples of a person getting exactly what they wanted, but later finding that the consequences carry a price far greater than they’re willing to pay. And so, it just makes sense to be careful how we label blessings.

And I think that’s also true with curses, in other words, things that we really don’t want. I mean, suppose we decide that, rather than seeing something as irredeemably negative and bad, suppose we look at all events as opportunities to grow into the men and women God created us to be. For example, we can learn something from every encounter, even if that lesson is just humility. You see, maybe we should try to see a glimmer in every dark room. Because, when you get right down to it, both blessings and curses are all in how you look at them.

No comments: